Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Eggs in Purgatory

So today was one of those days. Woke up late and my allergies were going crazy (thanks pollen) it was 8:40 my shift started at 8:45 and I had to make that dreaded call to my boss to let her know I was going to be late. I arrived at work on what seemed to be the busiest day of the season. Our phones were ringing off the hook and we were in the process of changing our billing system. Right in the middle of an order I had to reboot my PC and redo the order in the new program. My customer was less than thrilled to give me his information all over again, can’t say I blame him though. I hate it when I get stuck on the phone and hear “there is going to be a delay my computer is acting up”.

I finally made it home and was starving, I could not wait to sit down, watch the game and have a nice big plate of……….Oh yeah I was supposed to go grocery shopping today. I dash to check and see what food I have that I can turn into something that resembles a decent meal. In the fridge there is a box of baking soda, assorted condiments, some eggs, cottage cheese and milk, which happen to be in the same jug (it expired when?). In the freezer I have got some leftover homemade Marinara Sauce, a tv dinner covered in snow, a brisket and another box of baking soda (clean is serene). I’m to tired to go to the store and it will take me until 4am to thaw and cook a brisket properly. So I’ve got my Marinara and the eggs to work with. Might as well whip a batch of Eggs in Purgatory.

Not sure how this dish got its name but it’s eggs poached or baked in tomato sauce. But I think Eggs in Purgatory sounds cooler. In Ohio I lived close to the Italian neighborhood, we had a family friend named Rose who first shared this recipe with us. I was a bit squeamish at the thought of eggs and spaghetti sauce, but it is delicious. The eggs give the sauce more body and a velvety texture. It is hard to believe that a dish with only 2 ingredients can have so many nuances and complexities. I am enjoying mine with a piece of Focaccia bread. How crazy is that I barely have any normal food but I have artisan Italian bread, go figure. This recipe is ridiculously inexpensive and quick yields 2 servings

Eggs in Purgatory

1 cup Tomato Sauce
4 large eggs
Fresh ground Black Pepper
Grated Parmesan

In a large sauté pan place prepared tomato sauce; bring to a simmer.
Break eggs into a shallow bowl.
With a spoon, make a well in the tomato sauce.
Slide an egg into the sauce and continue with the remaining eggs.
Cover and cook for 3 minutes, or until the eggs are done to your taste.
Garnish with Black pepper and Parmesan, serve with your favorite bread

Notes / Tips: This dish is great anytime of day Rose told us when she was still in Italy she would make it for Breakfast all the time. These eggs are also delicious over pasta.

1 comment:

  1. This recipe name is hilarious! I like the idea of this over pasta :-)

    ReplyDelete