Thursday, April 1, 2010

Salmon Croquettes w/ Lemon Dill Aioli


 I am always willing and ready to lend a helping hand when someone asks me “what should I make for dinner”. I have hundreds of responses to this question depending on the person and what they enjoy eating. This recipe is for my coworker Ms. D, like so many people I meet she is in a bit of a cooking rut. Pork chops tonight, meatloaf tomorrow……we got to talking and I asked her if she liked seafood and fish “not as much as I should. I’ve got some frozen salmon fillets I have no idea what to do with”. Los to the rescue, but before I dazzle everyone with what I have got up my sleeve, let’s talk Salmon. Loaded with Omega 3’s and antioxidants it should be a staple in your diet, especially if you are an athlete. I hate to use the vernacular of a four year old, but salmon when not prepared and seasoned well can be very "ICKY!" But never worry this recipe will produce a moist and succulent cake that pairs excellently with the Lemon Dill Aioli.
The great thing about these salmon croquettes is that they are quick, inexpensive, and have boo koo flavor.

YIELDS: 12 Appetizers or 4 Entree servings



Salmon Croquettes
2 cups cooked or canned salmon
2 thinly sliced green onions (white parts too)
2 slices of bread torn in small pieces
1 large egg
½ tsp lemon juice
1 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of coarse black pepper
1 tsp seasoned salt

In a large bowl combine all ingredients until mixture is the consistency of thick mashed potatoes. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator and place a skillet over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to barely coat the bottom of the skillet.

Using a tablespoon scoop mixture out of the bowl and shape into patties about an inch thick

Carefully place in skillet and cook 3-5 minutes per side or until golden. Blot excess oil on paper towels. Garnish with Romaine or your favorite green and Lemon Dill Aioli

Lemon Dill Aioli
1 TBS dill
1 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp brown mustard
¼ cup mayonnaise

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well, cover and chill for at least 20 minutes. This is fantastic on poached salmon and many grilled or broiled fish.

Notes/Tips: you can use caned salmon for these. There are bones and skin that are edible but I go ahead and remove them. If you are like Mrs.D and have fresh or frozen Salmon, poach your Salmon first. Place your fish in a large pan with a lid. Add enough water to barely cover the fish. To the pan add ½ a lemon a few peppercorns and a pinch o salt. Simmer covered on medium low heat for 5-7 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Wow--I did it. The salmon croquettes were delicious as well as the lemon dill aioli. My meat/potato husband actually liked it. Thanks for the receipe--it was a hit and we feel good about eating healthy.

    Ms D

    ReplyDelete