Monday, May 10, 2010

Heads Up 7up....Cake

It was the summer of 99 and I just gotten my first job. I was working for the Crook and Chase television show. Unlike most teens on their first job, it was very difficult to get away with any thing because my entire family worked in different departments. Big brother was literally watching me. The show had all sorts of contest and colorful guest. My favorite contest was the hunt for the best pound cake.

I got to know many of the members of the studio audience because they had purchased season tickets to the show. The majority of them were sweet old ladies (Think Aunt B form Mayberry). Most of the ladies knew each other and looked forward to seeing each other and gabbing about any and everything under the sun. That is ….until the Pound cake contest. It was hilarious to see the women who were making plans to play cards on Tuesday fussing about who’s cake was better on Friday. Forget Tyson vs. Holyfield, our theatre had Gertrude vs. Prudence.

There were so many cakes submitted. Some were delicious, others well, let’s just say they were better suited for Softball practice and not consumption. There were cakes in Bundt pans, cakes in loaf pans, cakes with frostings and cakes with glazes. I’m starting to sound like a Dr. Seuss book “I ate cake in my house, I ate cake with a mouse..”

The winner of the contest made a cake that I had never heard of. Her cake was moist and flavorful and contained 7up. I could not believe that the un-cola could produce a cake this fantastic. I lost the award winner’s recipe, but after much trial and error and some help from me mum, I came up with this recipe that definitely deserves a blue ribbon. You probably have most of the ingredient on hand. Total cost for everything was $ 5.82 Yields 12 servings

7up Cake

3 sticks Butter, softened
3 cups Sugar
5 Eggs
3 cups Flour
2 tsp Vanilla extract
3/4 cup 7UP

Preheat oven to 325
Cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour, lemon extract, and 7UP; mix well.
Pour into greased angel food (or bundt) pan. Bake for 1 hour or until done. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before removing from cake pan.

Notes / Tips: Try using a combination of vanilla and lemon extract in this cake. Jasmine, Almond and Pineapple extracts will also produce a flavorful cake. Normally I would suggest a dessert wine, but this is best with a tall glass of cold milk (with a bendy straw).

1 comment:

  1. I remember my face used to get so sweaty whenever we played Heads Up 7-Up in class.

    Tasty-looking cake right there. And I just so happen to have some bendy straws at home.

    ReplyDelete