Sunday, May 9, 2010

Southern Fried Super Fantastic Pork Chops


That’s right fried, I know many bloggers and chefs are against fried anything, but my friends I am the complete opposite. Being a southerner I enjoy my fried food, if I could figure out how to fry water, I would have a chicken fried water recipe. Pork chops are fantastic when fried properly.

These chops have a very light crispy coating, while maintaining their moist flavorful meat. And unlike many fried dishes, these pork chops will not leave your plate or insides looking like the BP Oil Spill. These go really well with just about any vegetable, this time of year I usually serve them along with a simple salad of fresh tomatoes and cucumbers from my garden. To keep this an authentic southern recipe make sure you have a large enough brown paper bag to add your flour and shake your pork chops in. Most southern cooks swear by this method, I’m not sure if the paper imparts some sort of enzyme that tenderizes the meat or if it just distributes the flour evenly over the meat. All I know is, that I am a fifth generation bag shaker and the meat always comes out delicious. Total cost for this was only $5.37 yields 6 servings

Southern Fried Pork Chops

1 cup oil for frying (I use peanut or canola)
6 boneless Pork chops ½ “ thick
1 large egg beaten
1 tsp salt
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp black pepper
1 ½ cups self rising flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper

Place oil in frying pan over medium heat.

Whisk together egg and next four spices. Pour mixture over chops and let marinate for at least 10 minutes.

Combine flour salt and pepper in a large brown paper bag fold bag over and shake to distribute salt and pepper.

Place chops in bag two at a time and shake to coat. Shake off any excess flour and place in hot oil. Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Or until golden and juices run clear.

Notes/ Tips: Drain your pork chops on a cooling rack to ensure crispness. For wine, Rieslings can handle the spice and crispness of the chops, or you can do what I do and just pour a tall glass of sweet iced tea.



2 comments:

  1. I love your blog, short and sweet and funny too.
    I laughed so loud about the part: if you can only find a way how to fry water. We love fried food also, especially fried fish.
    Thank you for sharing your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fried is definitely making a comeback. No objections from me.

    ReplyDelete