Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Slacker Chef's Caesar Salad


So this past weekend I attended the Taste Expo. It’s a new Gourmet Festival that I am hoping will return next year. I had a blast at all the seminars, and meeting Guy Fieri, Fabio Viviani, Aaron Macargo jr. and Jacopo Fellini was the icing on the cake (pun intended). Anyway in all the excitement of eating and networking I forgot to do the shopping for this week. Way to go slacker.

Seriously! How does this keep happening to me, I make a living cooking for others but I do not have sense enough to remember to buy food for myself. Once again I come home from a long day at work and the pickins are slim. Looks like I’ll be having a salad….

Of course I will not be making one of those cute little wimpy salads that many restaurants charge an arm and a leg for. Sometimes I’ll order one of those when I’m trying to “behave” whatever that means. The waiter will bring it, and all I can think of is that I have had more food stuck in my teeth than what is on that plate (was that too explicit).

This is my twist on the very popular; often banal, Caesar Salad. This salad was created by a guy in a similar situation to mine. Caesar Cardini came up with this salad using only the few things he had left in his kitchen. At least that is what Wikipedia said. Okie dokie on to the salad.

If you have access to local grown produce then snatch up some romaine or your favorite green from them. I usually make my own dressing, but bottled ones will do just fine. Total cost for everything was $6.28 Yields 6-8 servings

Caesar Pasta Salad

1 head of romaine ( washed and cut)
12 oz box Penne Pasta (cooked and chilled)
1 ½ cups cooked diced Chicken
¼ cup Caesar Dressing
½ cup grated parmesan
Croutons
¼ cup bacon crumbled ( about 3 strips)
Black pepper

In a large bowl toss lettuce, cooked pasta, chicken and Caesar dressing together until salad is evenly coated.
Add more dressing if desired
Plate and garnish with parmesan, croutons, bacon and black pepper

Notes / Tips: Even though it takes a little extra time, cook and crumble the bacon for your garnish. I use maple smoked bacon that is great on this salad. I find bacon bits to be a tad rubbery, to me they look and taste like pieces of pencil eraser. You will also want to buy a quality crouton or make your own.

1 comment: