Thursday, May 20, 2010

Memory Lane Marinara Sauce


It has been said that there exists a correlation between scent and memory. One of the things that I love the most about cooking is how certain scents can take you back to different places in time. It could be the smell of fresh baked goods that reawaken thoughts of Moms and Grandma’s, or the way a fresh slice of pineapple perfumes the air and transports you back to an island vacation.

For me the smell of a homemade Marinara takes me back to Cleveland. My favorite restaurant in Cleveland was the “New York Spaghetti House”. The smell of their sauce would permeate throughout the overcrowded city street. The food was always incredible. The décor seemed to be something straight out of a Mario Puzzo novel. Slightly dim lights, a ménage of pictures on the wall and an obligatory Moose / Deer Head on the wall (I’m not sure what it was but it scared the daylights out of me as a kid).

I learned at an early age, that the key to a perfect Marinara involves quality products simmered over a low heat for a long period of time. Unfortunately most of us do not have 4-6 hours to simmer a sauce like the guys from the Spaghetti House, but you can still achieve that old world taste in a fraction of the time.

I know that suggesting that you simmer a tomato sauce for under an hour is Culinary Treachery for many. But this method still produces a vibrant and flavorful sauce. Yields about 3 Cups.

Marinara Sauce

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
¼ cup red wine
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Pinch of red pepper flakes

Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil on low heat about 5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine well.
Cover pot with lid. Simmer on low heat for at least 30 minutes.

Notes / Tips : Use a quality brand of tomatoes I love Cento, Tuttorosso and Contadina. This sauce will hold up for about 3 – 4 days in the refrigerator or two months in the freezer. When adding the wine, be sure to add something you would actually drink most “cooking wines” are salted and well… gross. I use this sauce in so many dishes. It was used in the Eggs in Purgatory post, and will be featured in an upcoming baked pasta. Mangia Mangia Mangia!

6 comments:

  1. I made homemade marinara sauce a few years ago and I haven't made it since. This looks great and has inspired me to try it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love fresh marinara, nothing like it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, the smell of bacon-y New England-style clam chowder takes me right back to my grandmother's kitchen in Oregon. She would only make it for Christmas, and the windows would often be steamed up in her kitchen from the slow simmering soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I was able to inspire someone w/ this Marinar recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bacon and or butter are two drool inducing scents for me too. My Nana used to make a wicked Clam chowder w/ seasoned oyster crackers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure there is relation between scents or smiles and memories.
    My first pancake was 4 months after my marriage, it was the first date anniversary :D, everytime I eat my pancakes I remember that day, fabulous feeling :)
    everytime I cook rice with butter, I remember my grandma because she used to cook it for us when we were kids.
    nice post, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete